1. It’s clear what to think of shock collars when I hear the hushed and plaintive, deer-eyed, black dog on the corner.
2. Some days are impossibly exquisite. (How can I be expected to get anything done?)
3. A single dove can be missed in a sky of birds and birds.
4. My father may never call again, but his mischief is everywhere: the motorcyclist with the Viking helmet, the gangbanger chanting in the park, the early moon in the autumn trees.
5. September had a final statement to make. I heard it, but I found it difficult to translate for all of the sweetness, all of the grief.